About the Department of Chemistry
The Department of Chemistry at Mkwawa University College of Education is committed to producing high integrity and quality chemistry teachers, and leaders for secondary schools in Tanzania and beyond. The Department offers a myriad of chemistry courses in areas of organic, inorganic, physical and analytical chemistry for undergraduate and master students. Our students enjoy state-of-the-art and rigorous chemistry training both in the lecture rooms and laboratories and we are proud of our outputs as their employability in schools, chemical industries, government authorities etc. has been unparalleled. Chemistry competence in our students via hands-on experiences and problem-solving skills in the laboratories and outside is one of the top priorities of the Department.
Research and Innovation
Research activities available in the Department have so far focused on the following:
- Chemical ecology research for promoting agricultural productivity via developing chemoecological devices to manage pests affecting crops.
- Discovery of useful phytochemicals from medicinal plants-natural product chemistry.
- Fabrication of materials for environmental-clean up and energy generation.
- Sensor technology.
- Functional materials synthesis and characterization.
- Powder technology.
- Nano-filters for water purification.
- Exploitation of renewable cashew nut shell oils to synthesize useful chemicals such as detergents, kairomones, polymers etc.
- Environmental chemistry research aimed at analyzing, discovering and remediating potential pollutants.
Seminar Series is available on a semester basis. Each semester the Department runs seminars by academic staff, guest speakers and postgraduate students on Thursdays at 10:00 a.m. Visit our facebook page for more information: https://web.facebook.com/mkwawauniversity/photos/a.440476116306222/440476042972896/?type=1&theater